Madonna's Esther's new fascination with Kabbalah has some striking similarities with certain segments of evangelicalism.
1. the form without the content (well, the mysticism is kept and exaggerated, but nothing else is)
2. "a superstitious attempt to manipulate the cosmos by a sort of divination with the sacred text"
3. violations of God's law despite some general approval of the things of God
4. money-making as a means to spread spirituality (or it is the other way around?)
5. merging a sense of piety with blasphemy
Incidentally, isn't it interesting that Madonna chose Esther out of all the biblical names she could have picked? One was a girl who was chosen out of obscurity to be queen, whose trust in God allowed her to have an impact on the Persian emperor for the good of God's people. The other is a self-glorifying celebrity who manifests a casual or hostile attitude toward anything really representing God but wanting all the spiritual benefits anyway, thus leading astray many in her influence.